School Immersion in Norway – Age 16-18 – 3 months to 1 academic year
This programme is available to motivated students aged 16 to 18 who wish to study for a period of 3 months to 1 academic year in this country of spectacular and enchanting landscapes and live a unique and unforgettable experience.
Participants attend a Norwegian high school while sharing the life of a host family. This programme allows a cultural and linguistic immersion into the Norwegian life.
No previous knowledge of Norwegian is required (beginners welcome), but a good command of English is.
Nature is the heart of the Norwegian way of life : unique and spectacular landscapes, glaciers, enchanting fjords, northern lights, midnight sun, magnificent mountains… There are plenty of opportunities to enjoy an outdoor activity with your Norwegian family or friends ! In winter people go skiing or snowboarding, in spring and summer they go trekking or canoeing.
Why study in Norway ?
- An educational system of excellence, encouraging critical thinking and individual reflection
- High standards of living
- Amazing landscapes: glaciers, fjords, northern lights, midnight sun, snowy mountains…
- The principle of equality is the foundation of the Norwegian society and has shaped its development
- Environmental protection and sustainable development are an integral part of the Nordic way of life
- Norwegians are cheerful and friendly people who have a very close relationship with nature. They enjoy outdoor sports and activities in all seasons
- Ideal destination for nature lovers
- Everybody speaks English
Although related to the Vikings, Norwegians are deeply peaceful, welcoming and warm people with a great sense of humour. As we say here: “A cold country, with warm people” ! Norway has some of the most spectacular scenery in the world! If you love nature and outdoor activities, if you want to meet friendly people, Norway is the ideal country to experience something extraordinary, off the beaten track !
- 5,5 millions inhabitants
- Capital city : Oslo
- The “world’s happiest people”
- Safe country with a high quality of life
- One of the richest countries in the world, thanks to large oil resources
- Snow is part of everyday life (here, more than 100 words to talk about snow…)
- The most important Norwegian word is “Kos”, a mixture of warmth, caring, attention, laughter, conviviality… but also a cup of coffee with a cinnamon roll…
Placements take place all over Norway. Your stay may take place in an average sized town or even a small village : in Norway, the settlement is scattered.
There are two official languages in Norway : Bokmal (the mother tongue of 80% of Norwegians) and Nynorsk ( about 17.5% of the population). Both are North Germanic languages and are mutually intelligible. The first, the “language of books”, is marked by Danish. The second is derived from the old Norwegian dialects.
Almost all Norwegians speak English, but the High School classes will be taught in Norwegian. It is then strongly recommended to follow an online Norwegian course prior to departure to prepare your immersion in the best way possible.